Tuesday, October 11, 2016

A chance for some autumn splendor in Iowa

Just returned from nearly a week camping in Iowa, our first extended trip there.  We had so much fun just doing some low key sight seeing.  I had my camera clicking all the time.  Over the next few days, time permitting, I will record some of what we saw.  Today's posting is just a teaser of what we saw.  I guess a few days away from the political turmoil and speculation with time to focus on each other, our interests, a bit of history, and some good Iowa pork thrown in is just what we needed.

I must mention, though, that every shop we saw that had special cheese displays was showcasing Wisconsin cheese, mostly Shullsburg.  On the second day of our trip while Russ golfed, I savored my first pumpkin latte of the season, browsed some quilt shops,and did some sight seeing in Kalona, Ia.  This rural town is known for its Amish and Mennonites farms, but it also has a thriving "English" community.  My sight seeing included touring their historic village and quilt museum. 

Earlier this summer we needed to replace our washer and dryer.  I had a difficult time making a decision just what to buy.  The range of prices is quite significant, and there are so many features to consider.  Plus, we are restricted to stackables because of our laundry room configuration.  If I did not have to do stackable, maybe I should have considered one of these lovely domestic machines as seen at the Kalona Historic Village. 
Love the green color
The gray one is quite industrial.

No comments:

Post a Comment