Thursday, September 8, 2016

Cultivate Kindness Lap Quilt finished



For a true quilter turning this CULTIVATE KINDNESS panel into a lap quilt would be a simple, no-thinking project.  For me, it took much longer and more effort than I thought it would, but I am so happy with the results.  First reason I am pleased is the cost; I found the panel and enough coordinating lavender floral print at a thrift store.  I love finding quality material at a bargain price.  Then when I decided to do a wide purple border and a 5 inch "piano key" border, I searched my stash and found just what I needed.  Not having to run to the store for a particular fabric and not having to piece a backing are always pluses.  For quilting, I outlined each of the rectangles and squares with a decorative running stitch found on my Janome machine.  Then for the first time, I quilted the whole quilt using my embroidery machine.  Each square/rectangle has a quilted design and then there are designs all along the purple border.  In all I had to hoop and sew 31 times.  The designs themselves stitch out very quickly, but the time it takes to hoop the thick fabric sandwich and get everything centered TAKES TIME.  Then while the machine stitches, I needed to hold the quilt carefully so that it did not pull against the machine.  By the time I was done, I had a sore shoulder and neck.  It seems that no matter what quilting method I try, I get aches and pains. 

This will be a donation quilt and I hope that the recipient is a flower lover or a former gardener.  On to a new project! If you've got a panel you purchased but never used, find it and turn it into something.  They make colorful lap quilts which can always be donated if you don't need one.

 Here is a closeup of the panel and the piano key border.  I wish the quilting designs showed up on the panel, but with my camera, it doesn't.
Closeup of the quilted embroidery design I did along the purple border.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, how lovely! I'm with you, it is almost as fun to find the fabric you need on sale, in your stash or at a thrift store. All of your 'found' fabrics work great together. Some lucky recipient will be very pleased. :)

    ReplyDelete