Wednesday, February 10, 2016

A Likely Story: A Library Lover's Mystery by Jenn McKinlay

I just discovered a new-to-me cozy mystery series which features a librarian, written by Jenn McKinlay, herself a librarian. What could be better for this mystery-loving former school librarian? Within the first few pages, Briar Creek library director Lindsey Norris deals with a plumbing clog caused by a stuffed duck set free by a toddler after hearing MAKE ROOM FOR DUCKLINGS at story hour and then has joined the children's librarian on an "in-disguise" visit to a neighboring library to check out the new hot male children's librarian who is wooing all the young mothers away from Briar Creek.  I could not keep from chuckling at the tongue-in-cheek humor.  But when Lindsey loads up a box of books to deliver to two reclusive brothers who never their island home, I knew I was going to like Lindsey and her adventures.  A LIKELY STORY did not disappoint.  I especially liked the fast pace and the twists near the end. Briar Creek and Lindsey's circle of friends offer plenty of "filler" to create a wider story than just the mystery, but not too much to slow down what's happening in the murder investigation.  Also I liked that the library stays an essential part of the story; even the newspaper files (on microfiche) provide vital information. Yes, there is the tiniest hint of romance, but it never dominates and I am sure that light vein runs through all the books.  I am definitely adding McKinlay's other Library Lover Mysteries on to read list.  And after that I can begin her Hat Shop or Cupcake mysteries. I recommend McKinlay's titles for mystery lovers looking for light, quick reads -- wonderful choices for traveling, taking to appointments and such.  I never felt compelled to read from beginning to end like some thrillers force me to do, and it was always easy to pick up and start reading again.  I borrowed this title through the Winnefox Library System.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I am always looking for a good cozy mystery series. I can recommend the Helma Zukas series by Jo Dereske. Another librarian.

    ReplyDelete