Monday, November 2, 2015

Pinkie McClould and How She Saved Ballooze by Eileen Goldenberg

Pinkie McCloud was born into a special group of people known as the Wingblings who all donned tiny beautiful wings on their heads.  In New Skyland, Pinkie was happy, well accepted by those around her, even those who were different than she.  Of course one of her special activities was flying.  Then her father tells the family that they are moving to Ballooze which seems very far away and different to Pinkie. And indeed Ballooze is a different place, much less colorful, and it seems void of the joy Pinkie felt in New Skyland.  Despite words of encouragement from her mother, Pinkie finds that the children in Ballooze do not want to get to know her.  No one has wings on their heads and they certainly don't see any reason why Pinkie's are special.  The once happy girl becomes sad.

At this point in the story, the book which is told in lengthy rhyme, switches from a third person narrator to a first person narrator, that of Chloe LeQuinn, one of the mean girls in town.  Chloe tells of a great storm which hit Ballooze, causing the rivers to swell and the streets to flood.  Towns people flee to their roofs and have no way to escape.  Of course, it is little Pinkie McCloud with her tiny pink wings who can fly and rescue the trapped neighbors.

Eileen Goldenberg both wrote and illustrated this book.  One colorful illustration bordered in black and white edging adorns each page.  As I already mentioned, the story is told in poetry, and while I enjoyed this story of acceptance, I think it will be a little difficult for young readers.  Targeted for ages 4-7, I do not see 7 year old readers plugging through the text which relies heavily on inverted and complex sentences. Also it simply has more text on each page than most picture books, giving the pages a crowded look.  However, as a read-aloud, I think a good story teller can make Goldenberg's story come alive, and I really did enjoy the art work.

I received a copy of this title from PUMP UP YOUR BOOK for my honest review.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honest review, Sue. I appreciate all your comments and agree that the book does work better as a read-aloud. I always enjoyed reading longer rhyming PB’s out loud to my children so that’s what I wrote. However I have learned how challenging a book like this can be, so all my other manuscripts are much, much shorter, and mostly in prose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with Pinky and please continue your artistic efforts.

      Delete