Sunday, November 15, 2015

June Bug by Chris Fabry

June Bug  Well, I did it again --- read a book that I felt I had already read, but since I couldn't remember the whole story, I read it from cover to cover.  Back a bit, I read the book summary/blurb for JUNE BUG by Chris Fabry, and was interested enough to order the book from Winnefox Library System.  That the story was going to be about a girl who sees an age-enhanced drawing of someone who looks like herself seemed just a tad familiar, but then there have been multiple books written about missing children and I've read some, so I never questioned if I'd read this particular title.  When the book came, the cover picture did not shout, "I've seen this before" and it went onto my reading pile. But when I started reading the actual book, it seemed vaguely familiar -- enough so that I went back and checked my lists of books read from 2009 until now.  Nowhere did I see the title JUNE BUG, but the further I got into the book, the more I knew that I had already read Fabry's tale.  I had a sense of what the ending was (but never peeked) but since all the action was reading like new material, I ended up reading the entire book.  Despite knowing I have a tall stack of books to be read before the holidays, I don't regret rereading this one.

June Bug, the name given to the main character by the man she believes is her father, is a gem.  She and her father have been traveling the country in his beat up RV and despite sometimes wishing she could remain in a town long enough to actually develop friendships and have a dog, she loves her dad and their life.  That he never wants to answer her questions about her mom really doesn't bother her; that is, until the day she sees that picture that she knows must be herself on the Walmart bulletin board.  Then when a newscast reveals that a car has been found in the bottom of a Dogwood West Virginia reservoir, he begins to make a trek across country, promising to reveal the truth when they get to Dogwood.  The grandparents in Dogwood and the sheriff there trying to solve a 7 year old disappearance, coupled with the people that June Bug and John meet on their RV trip are what made  this an interesting read  -- worth the second visit.   There is a wide range of skill in Christian fiction writing.  Fabry's tales always hit the high end on my scale, especially for complex character development -- even the second time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment