Friday, November 13, 2015

Guidebook to Murder: A Tourist Trap Mystery by Lynn Cahoon

Guidebook to Murder2 (eBook)When I purchased my new Nook Samsung tablet a few weeks ago, I wanted to read on it right away. Of course I could have read one of the many Nook ebooks which transferred over from my original Nook, but I also wanted to find out how to obtain books from the Wisconsin Public Library Consortium downloaded onto my new device.  So I downloaded the OVERDRIVE app from GooglePlay (free app) and quickly picked an available title, one of Lynn Cahoon's Tourist Trap Mysteries.  I'd never read any of her books before, but I was pleasantly surprised. The series (6 books I believe) is set in the coastal town of South Cove, California, known for its tourist business, and features Jill Gardner, former lawyer who now runs a coffee/book shop.  When Jill receives a frantic call from her elderly friend Miss Emily, Jill believes it is because the City Council has been harassing the elderly woman about her refusal to sell her house for a new development.  Despite being the last holdout, Miss Emily has no intentions to move or sell.  When Jill visits soon after the call, she finds Miss Emily dead.  Even more surprising than the woman's untimely death is the news that her house and possessions have been left to Jill, not Miss Emily's nephew.

Intent on learning exactly what led to Miss Emily's demise and also to learn more about the woman's deceased only son, Jill finds she needs immediate help at the coffee shop.  She calls her retired aunt. You know how what seems to be the answer to a huge problem can soon be its own problem?? That pretty much describes what happens when Jill's aunt arrives and takes over.

Cahoon's book had all the easy reading qualities that I like in a cozy mystery.  No real gore, but still some suspense and danger.  There's a little humor and Jill is a genuinely caring person.  The array of possible "bad guys" are eclectic and entertaining, and I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised at the ending  There were "bread crumbs" of clues but they were hidden enough that I did not quite catch them.

I liked GUIDEBOOK TO MURDER enough that I will be either reading or listening to the other books in the series, at least the ones I can get from WPLC or Winnefox Library System.  I just can't resist a series set around coffee and books!  If you think you might like this series, check out Lynn Cahoon's website for more information.


No comments:

Post a Comment