Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Fall activities and a bit of reading


Haven't done much blogging in the last two weeks.  We've been taking advantage of the unseasonably warm temperatures to spend time with family and friends and BE OUTDOORS.
Last Thursday evening two friends and I caught an early supper and then attended the Montello Women's Club's annual floral show.  Three florists make floral arrangements (mainly fall and holiday) on stage and then they are won by audience members.  Not my lucky year to win an arrangement or one of the fund raising baskets, but I had a great time.  Plus I got some decorating ideas.  All of the florists had some version of a bouquet in a pumpkin or a gourd, so I decided to try my own arrangement for the luncheon we were hosting today for Russ's sisters, sister-in-law, and our good friends.  I scooped out a smaller pumpkin (about 7 inches), inserted a plastic bowl and oasis, then arranged mums and filler flowers.  I got my mum stems from Chris's Floral in Markesan and added some ninebark, lavender, and osteospermum from my yard.  Turned out quite nicely, I think.
I really do like fresh flowers in the house.  Somehow we missed taking photos of everyone here for lunch.  Guess I was too busy thinking about the food.  We also skyped with Russ's brother Fred and his wife Marie.


Last Tuesday-Thursday temperatures (first week in November) were near 70 degrees so we
packed up Kermit, our little Rpod trailer and headed to the Adams County Park on Castle Rock Lake.
This is a large campground, but we were almost the only people there; I think there may have been one fisherman in another trailer.  We simply enjoyed the view of the lake and took long walks.  It was a little hard getting used to dark at 5:30, especially when Kermit is so tiny inside.  But each night we had a campfire and ate supper by lantern light.  Very relaxing.  On Wednesday, we drove into Wisconsin Dells to see the play LOMBARDI at the Palace Dinner Theater.  Based on the popular book, PRIDE MATTERS, this play told a lot about Lombardi, his wife, and his relationship with his players.  Very good acting,

I am also including a photo of our grandson, Ethan, trick or treating with our granddaughter (his cousin) also five.  It was a little rainy that day and near the end, their mothers say they were both very tired.  I think Ethan is encouraging Lizzie to keep going; he looks like a little protector.  As the saying goes, cousins are often first and best friends.

I've also been busy finishing some simple sewing projects for a fundraising event.
Maybe I will post photos later.  While I was sewing I listened to another audio book.  Called THE AMISH GARDEN, this was a compilation of four novellas by Beth
Wiseman, Vanetta Chapman, Kathleen Fuller, Tricia Goyer, each featuring gardening in the setting and plot.  Each novella gave me a little different appreciation for gardens and the place they can have in our lives.  Although during the time I was listening to the book, I had to finish up "putting the gardens to bed for the winter" and despite loving our yard, I still found that chore to be a CHORE! The novellas also featured romance, but the stories of caring for others and love for family were equal in importance to the romance.  I liked that Vanetta Chapman's story featured a mature couple in their fifties.  Not everything in the world is about young people!! Time to find another easy listening book for my next sewing and quilting projects.  Maybe I will find another set of novellas; I like the short format.  

An Amish Garden

Last night after I finished a quick sewing project, I finished reading A QUILT FOR CHRISTMAS by Sandra Dallas on my new Nook tablet.  I obtained the book through
the Wisconsin Public Library Consortium.  Using the Overdrive app on the tablet is a little different than reading on my older Nook, and I am still getting used to it.  Set in the Civil War and right after, Dallas's book tells the story of a Kansas farm woman and her two young children struggling on their own while her husband is fighting for the union.  The further I got into the book, the more familiar it seemed.  Either I have read this before or it was made into a tv movie.  I think the former.

A Quilt for Christmas


I've got a stack of books to read and review over the next two weeks, plus I do have some books to write about that I haven't reviewed yet.  Time to get busy. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds as though your days are full! Our temps have also been very lovely but the early dark is taking some getting used to. I'm looking forward to having the folks with me for December. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous that your warm temperatures are in the 70s. Living in Florida, it's still in the 80s and 90s and I hate it. Great job on the flower arrangements! I would have never thought about putting them in a bowl in a pumpkin. I'll have to file it away for next year's decorations.

    ReplyDelete