Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Gather Around the Amish Table:Treasured Recipes and Stories from Plain Communities by Lucy Leid

 I've collected cookbooks since I was a teenager (over 50 years, but who is counting) and my family always teases me when I read them cover to cover like novels.  I sift through the recipes, deciding which ones I will try.  While I will look at almost any cookbook, I truly treasure those packed with "down home" family recipes, with maybe a slight twist of originality.  I do love those community cookbooks packed with side comments and inspirational messages from the cooks.  Lucy Leid has gathered together both recipes and stories from Amish communities around the country.  For those who don't know much about the Amish, this book is a warm introduction with some great basic recipes to boot.  I live in a rural area with a strong Amish presence so I have been able to purchase many Amish cookbooks over the years as families, schools, and communities frequently put together cookbooks to raise money.  Although GATHER AROUND THE AMISH TABLE may have fewer recipes than some of those, it is a more professional, colorful publication.  The recipe for oven baked chicken caught my eye when I first looked through the cookbook.  A mixture of butter, crushed cornflakes and Parmesan cheese coats the chicken which then bakes in the oven.  Mmm, I thought.  I used to make something similar but haven't in a long time.  It was so easy and good.   I've been making apple crisp since my early 4-H days but when we were having company for Saturday night supper a few weeks ago, I decided to use the recipe in GATHER AROUND THE AMISH TABLE instead of digging out my old, battered recipe.  Pretty similar except the Amish version adds a dash of nutmeg.  Made with Melba apples, freshly picked in Bayfield Co, WI, this dessert was a hit.  Basic cakes, filling casseroles, healthy soups, and even made from scratch puddings and custards.  This book is chocked full of tried and true recipes that have been making families smile around the dinner table for years.  GATHER AROUND THE TABLE would make a special gift for anyone interested in this more simple culture, the people themselves, and of course, their favorite foods.  I recieved a copy of this title from LitFuse for my honest review

3 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the recipes were a hit! I made the lemon bars for a book club event. None left to bring home! Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Apple Crisp is beautiful, Sue! Thank you for sharing your lovely review.

    ReplyDelete