Tuesday, July 7, 2015

No Safe Harbor by Elizabeth Ludwig

 Part of a trilogy of Christian Historical fiction with Irish immigrant characters, No Safe Harbor tells the story of Cara Hamilton who travels to the US alone in 1898 after receiving a scribbled letter from a brother who she has believed was dead for several years.  Arriving in New York City, she is unsuccessful at locating him, but is able to find a safe place to live and a job at a clock shop as she continues to search for him.  Little does she know that Rourke, the handsome Irishman she met the day she arrived, is actually a member of a family seeking revenge against her brother who they believe killed the family's patriarch.

I'm not an expert on Irish history, but do know that the divisions between those who accepted British rule (Protestant) and those who wanted separation (Catholic) carried over into the new world.  Add in that the Irish workers were on the lowest rungs of society's ladder here in the US during the 1800s, and the Irish story presents an interesting back drop for Ludwig's romantic novel.  No Safe Harbor will be an enjoyable, quick read, a nice mixture of history, dangerous intrigue, and romance.  I actually listened to the audio version of this title, downloading it from WPLC, our state library system's site for ebooks and audio books.


3 comments:

  1. I have nominated you for the Sisterhood of The World Bloggers Award. Head over to my blog to see what I have gotten you into! https://rbclibrary.wordpress.com/2015/07/09/sisterhood-of-the-world-bloggers-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nomination. I believe I've done something similar before. I am going to politely ask that you nominate someone else instead as we have out of state company arriving Sunday and I will be away from the computer for several days. Right now I need to rush finishing a book to be reviewed tomorrow. Again I am pleased that you nominated me but I can't do it right now.

      Delete
  2. I completely understand, Sue. There is no time limit to respond, so if you find time later in the month, by all means post your answers. Thanks and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete