Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Sew Pretty T-Shirt Dresses:More than 25 Easy, Pattern Free Designs for Little Girls - A Sweet Seams book

  I purchased this book last December on a trip to Branson, MO.  While I never duplicate an idea exactly as depicted in a book like this, I love the inspiration that I receive.  And books like this are such wonderful eye candy, letting you dream about party dresses and such.

My original idea was that I would recycle a t-shirt that I found at a thrift store or garage sale into a dress for my youngest granddaughter, aged 4.  Then her mom gave me a bordered remnant she had found at a thrift store.  "Hmm," I thought, "Wouldn't that make a wonderful skirt for a t-shirt dress?"  So once I had my focus skirt fabric, I wanted to find a t-shirt but wasn't scoring any time for rummage sales.  I hit a big sale at Boston Store a couple of weeks ago for some needed summer shoes and checked the "yellow dot" racks and found two sweet t-shirts, very, very reasonable.

Yesterday morning was stormy and rainy-- great day for the sewing room.  A couple hours later, we have two finished summer dresses.  It was such fun putting these together.  I basically followed the
SUNNY DAY directions on page 23 for the peach dress, adding ruffles made of remnant fabrics I had; and the blue and purple one comes from the basic idea of a t-shirt dress.  I think the blue one will be a maxi on my granddaughter, but I like that look and hopefully she will be able to wear it more than one summer.  I know she likes to twirl in her dresses so I think the peach one will be a hit.  I've always liked that tiered look for girl's summer dresses.  The top doesn't show up too well on the photos but it has lacey sleeves, making the outfit extra special.  I enjoyed those rainy hours in the sewing room. Even used my serger which doesn't get enough use.  By the time I was done, the sun was out and it was a glorious afternoon.
Sunny Dress directions 

Border fabric scored for 99 cents

Peachy dress - it is more peach than pink.

Happy border printed dress.  Notice the sequins.

No comments:

Post a Comment