Monday, June 15, 2015

Are you taking time to make this summer special?

As I have quite often mentioned, our family has a little cabin in northern Wisconsin, or as we
Wisconsiners say, UP NORTH.  Like the cabin, the lake it is on is small and unassuming, just the way we like it.  What is difficult is the 3.5 hour drive to get there; that length makes it a little hard to just swing by for the weekend.  When Russ was still working part-time it was a challenge to schedule enough free time to make the trip.  Either it was his driving, his commitments to the men's choir, a grandkid activity, or something I had to do.  During this past long winter, I decided that we would give time UP NORTH a priority this summer. Plus we bought a tiny travel trailer and we need to get that on the road.

It is approaching mid-June and we have made 4 trips to the cabin, although none was as long as I would have liked.  We have also taken Kermit, the travel trailer, out for two short excursions.
That has meant we need to work extra hard at keeping up with yard work when we are home.
Before our most recent trip north, I decided to take some photos of our lawn and early flowers.  Good thing I did as they were past their prime when we returned.

First, is a photo of two of our peony bushes in bloom.  This is the first year they have been large enough to put forth much color.  Peonies have a special place in my heart for several reasons.  First, we always had a long row of pink ones at the farm when I was a kid.  I really did not appreciate them then, but now I think of my mom when I see well established old fashioned peony beds.  The other reason I have come to like them is that peonies were the flowers that adorned the church sanctuary when Russ and I got married 44 years ago this week.  A dear elderly lady (probably in her 80s when we wed, but she lived to 100 or more) picked her peonies as tight, tight buds in late May, put them in her refrigerator, and then took them out in just enough time for them to burst into full bloom for our wedding day.  She arranged the bouquets as a gift to Russ and me.  She and her husband also hid our car from Russ's trickster brothers.  Since they were unfamiliar with the rural neighborhood where I hailed from, they drove right by her house and garage on their way to the church. LOL.
Our peonies in the front yard

I always appreciate flowers at weddings, but no matter what the amount that the family has spent, I've never seen bouquets as grand as Margaret's peonies.  Maybe someday, my bushes will provide blooms for a special event.  Here are some other photos of part of our yard.
Some other photos of the yard

Front door







Side yard



Hubby and grandson planting a fruit tree in memory of my dad


Now for some UP NORTH photos

Hubby (note the mosquito protective hat) playing SOMEWHERE OVER
THE RAINBOW on his ukulele.  


Vince's family has decorated the refrig with cabin poetry!  Quite inventive with
their poems.

2 comments:

  1. What a neat post. Peonies always remind me of my grammy. I'd go with her to put them on my grandpa's grave on Memorial (Decoration) Day every year. I love the story about the peonies and your wedding. I wouldn't have thought of that. Glad we found each other's blogs. Looks like you've read a lot of good books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat post. Peonies always remind me of my grammy. I'd go with her to put them on my grandpa's grave on Memorial (Decoration) Day every year. I love the story about the peonies and your wedding. I wouldn't have thought of that. Glad we found each other's blogs. Looks like you've read a lot of good books.

    ReplyDelete