Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Little Lost Angel by Janet Field (Curtis) Heath

 A memory from my childhood!  Little Lost Angel is in fact a Christmas story from my girlhood that I shared with my daughter Olivia when she was small and now with her daughter Lizzie.  I wish I could say that I still had my original book and I've passed it on, but that's not true.  I don't have any of my childhood books and did not make the effort for to keep my kid's books, either.  Olivia took the initiative to find a copy to give four year old Lizzie this Christmas.  It seemed a flashback in years as I read the book to Lizzie on Monday evening.

The little angel becomes separated from the multitude of angels announcing Jesus's birth to the shepherds.  As she tries to make her way to rejoin them, she gives away her harp, her staff, and finally her wings to others in need.  These selfless gifts leave her alone, tired, and hungry when she comes upon the home of a couple who rejoice that their prayers for a child have been answered.
So the little angel lives her life as a child; we, the readers, learn the impact of her gifts given to the others.

I can't think of a better book to end this year of blogging.  What childhood book holds a special place in your heart?  Make a point to keep its impact alive and share it with someone else.  I'd love to hear what book or toy you're remembering right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment