Friday, August 22, 2014

Sweetie-licious Pies: Eat Pie, Love Live by Linda Hundt

Pie has always been the dessert of choice in our family, probably because my mother was a superb pie baker.  Apple pie, especially one made with the summer transparent apple tree outside our kitchen door was her specialty.  I learned the secrets of making her pie crust when I was about ten years old and have been making pies ever since.  Needless to say, pie doesn't make too many appearances on our menus lately as we try to eat more healthily. Maybe that's why I've read several books in the past three years extolling the virtues of PIE.  Linda Hundt, owner of Sweetie-licious Pies in DeWitt, MI and multi-time national pie contest winner, is the author of my latest sweet find.  Her book of recipes and life musings was a sale item I found for my nook and it is so full of recipes just calling out to be made for someone special, each one accompanied by a short family story and some clever musings on life --- all ending with the command, "Eat Pie."

The whole candy cotton pink theme shown on the cover carries through the whole book (and I believe through her actual pie shop in Michigan).  The color theme gives everything a fifties nostalgia feel.  The photos accompanying the book are as appealing as the recipes.  I loved turning each page (electronically), anticipating what the next photo would be.  Old fashioned cast iron sinks, pastel glass cake stands, and even a glamped-up old travel trailer filled the pages.  Now that I've devoured my ebook version of this book, I am left with three tasks: 1.  Order the book in hard copy.  It is just too pretty to only have an e-version.  And technically, I don't consider having a book in my cookbook collection unless it is a physical copy.  2.  Make one or more of these fantastic recipes -- perhaps, the apple caramel? 3.  Find Dewitt, MI on the map and plan a trip there.  I want to eat her pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment