Saturday, July 5, 2014

Strings and Scraps


When our time at our northwoods cabin is short, fishing is always a number one priority, followed by hammock time and reading.  We love to cook with our cast iron dutch ovens and our outdoor kitchen equipment over the wood fire  (See photo below) But when we stay there for more than three days or when the weather is rainy, I get an itch to do some sewing, so this spring I took my older New Home machine up there and left it for the summer.  I have a sewing case that I keep packed with scraps which I can throw into car when we pack.  I don't want to do any complicated sewing and I don't want to be burdened with patterns or instructions, so I just sew "strings" or strips across foundation pieces.  Then later I can turn these pieces into purses, table runners, bibs or even oven mitts.  I also have a few other simple blocks I make from scrap squares.  It's fun to see what I can coordinate from a pile of scraps.
Some of the strings sewn recently at the cabin.
 Fishy squares all made from scraps
 The fish squares made into a table runner
 String squares made into an embroidered table runner.  These runners will be gifts or donations.
Every oak tree started out as a couple of nuts who decided to stand their ground.


We've got another cabin trip coming up soon, but this time I'll be leaving the scrap box home as we will haveour three year old granddaughter and her mom along.  We plan to do some sightseeing and take a drive to Lake Superior.  I don't think I will be bored or need any projects.  I do hope we have good weather for outside cooking.  And please, may the mosquitoes have dwindled in number and size!
Grilled skirt steak, peppers, and onions ready for fajitas.  That's what cabin life is all about-- good food and doing what makes you happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment