Thursday, April 3, 2014

New Quilting Project uses ZigZag ruler

Monday I lunched with my friend Trina and we made a stop at the Bungalow Quilt Shop in Ripon, WI when we were done. This is an adorable shop with an enthusiastic owner whp picks the most cheerful patterns and fabrics.  I especially like that she has sample projects throughout the shop, many of them are simple children's garments.  I made several reversible sundresses last year after seeing the pattern made up in her shop.

Monday I did not make any fabric purchases there, but I did pick up a ruler called the zig-zag ruler by Char Hopeman of The Cotton Cottage Press.  Basically, it is a 5 in. square that has lines drawn on it so you can position the ruler at an angle on a strip of three fabrics sewn together.  When the squares are then pieced together you will get a chevron design.

 

I didn't have any real reason for buying the ruler; just wanted to add to my tools.  Tuesday I sewed some strips of pink and pink polka dot together and cut out muliple squares.  When pieced I ended up with two bright chevron strips.  So I went through my stash of pink fabrics and designed the following top.  It is a little large for a baby quilt and a little small for a twin, but I think some kid will enjoy it when quilted.  It will be a happy contemporary piece.


2 comments:

  1. What a fun and pretty project! I just finished my hand at handbag making. One turned out really well and the other is...well...a practice piece :/ David bought me a new quilting sewing machine (99 stitches!) I'm finishing up these smaller projects before I jump into the Dog Rag/Quilt as you go, child's quilt. My sewing room is taking on a personality of its' own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt, but I would love to learn more about the reversible sundresses you made last year! Did you blog about them on this site? Is there an online pattern?

    BTW...thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting, I too look forward to your future blog posts!

    ReplyDelete