Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Reversible Sundress - Jump-N by Olive Ann Designs

Olive Ann Designs Jump-N Dress & Jumper PatternIn a recent post, I mentioned making reversible sundresses for my granddaughters last summer. Shondra of
Givemetoday left a comment inquiring what pattern I used.  I am happy to share information about this easy, delightful pattern.  It is called JUMP-N, includes sizes 1-6, and was designed by Olive Ann Designs.  Many other delightful patterns can be found at the website or you can simple search "Olive Ann Designs" to find other online retailers who sell her patterns.  I got my pattern last spring at The Bungalow Quilt Shop in Ripon, WI; however, I noticed she did not have more when I last visited.  

The pattern has ingenious, but simple construction.  Unfortunately the cover dresses don't highlight those features.  The top shoulder pieces are simple rectangles with elastic in them and they are attached in such a way that they are the shoulders for both sides.  On one side the fabric will match the body; on the other side, it will be a contrast.  The very bottom of the dress is longer for one dress, making it possible to form a bottom trim on the opposite dress.
When I made the dresses for my granddaughters, I used solid on one side and a bright summer print on the other.  You will want light fabrics.  Quilting cotton is okay, but I also used those cute summery prints that are seersucker-like.  For the size 3 dress, I embroidered (using my emb. machine) a fun novelty design on the solid side.  

Unfortunately, I seem to have given the dresses away without taking photos.  I try to document most of what I make now, but sometimes I just forget.  As you can see from the pattern there is a shorter version to be worn as a top.  I think I may make one of those for my youngest granddaughter this summer.

Olive Ann has some delightful original styles. Looking at the website this morning, I saw a pattern for another reversible dress - this one is a wrap style.  Oh yes, did you notice that there is an accompanying pattern for a doll dress (18 in. American Girl style)?  Making that dress was as easy as making the girl's version.  Sorry, I don't have photos, but if you are a sewer (I guess sewist is the new word), check out Olive Ann Designs and tackle a project for someone special.

No comments:

Post a Comment