Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Flame of Resistance by Tracy Groot

flameTracy Groot won the 2013 Christy Award for historical fiction for her World War II story about the French Resistance.  Tom Jaeger, American pilot, is shot down over France just before D-Day.  Nursed back to health, Tom is given a chance to impersonate a German officer, visit an area brothel, obtain critical information and enlist the help of Brigitte, a prostitute who may be sympathetic to the resistance cause.  Brigitte has lost everything, but perhaps helping Tom will make a difference to an effort bigger than them all.  Tom readily accepts the plan, partly because he's promised his mother that his service will avenge the deaths of loved ones in the Netherlands.

Normally, I am quickly drawn into historical fiction books, and delving into World War II from a new angle has always been compelling.  So, I feel bad that I did not like this novel.  Brigitte and Tom's bravery was commendable, and their story interesting.  The Nazi officer who later interrogates Tom was as villainous as possible; the secret head of the resistance who cannot bear losing another agent to torture is heroic and sympathetic, but the plot jumps and is difficult to follow.  There are characters that I never did figure out their importance.  I feel bad writing a blase review of a book that won an award written by an author who has won many awards.  Perhaps there was something wrong with my state of mind as I read it.  I confess I was on vacation, but usually place and time do NOT affect how I interact with a book.

Bottom line:  Give the book a chance and let me know your reactions.

1 comment:

  1. My book club read this one in January, and almost all loved it (we are a very picky bunch!). Sorry you didn't enjoy it. We are reading Groot's latest book, The Sentinels of Andersonville, later in the year.

    ReplyDelete