Friday, March 14, 2014

What's on your reading table?

Normally, I stick to one book at a time when I read, but some review deadlines, upcoming book club,
and some travel plans have me juggling several books at once, with others in close line up to be read.
Since I haven't finished any of them, I thought I just share a bit about all, and if anyone has read a title, they can leave a comment.  I should be writing full reviews in the next weeks.

First, let's start with Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero by Michael Hingson and Susy Flory.  This is the March selection for our book club.  At least one nearby city had selected it last year as a city-wide read.  I was fortunate to obtain an audio copy from WPLC  (Wisconsin Public Library Consortium), so I've started listening to it.  Already, I have been pulled into Michael's plight.  As the introduction makes clear, readers will be using their senses as they follow Michael and his dog's miraculous escape from the tower.  Seeing as Michael depended on his dog and his own hearing and touch, I think it is appropriate that I will be listening to this heroic tale. 

Thunder Dog by Michael Hingson



Last night, I started reading A Sky with Stars by Linda S. Clare, another Quilts of Love novel from Abbingdon Press.  There currently is a a giveaway connected with this book.  I can already tell that essentially this is a Christian romance, but the Lakota heritage of Frankie Chasing Bear and her son
color the story from the first pages.  Even the connection to quilting is rich with Native American lore and custom.  When a novelist uses a cornerstone such as quilting for her books, I like for that hobby/place/item to be an integral part of the characters' lives, not just a gimmicky add-on to fit a publisher's wants. 
I don't think I will be disappointed with Clare's latest writing. 

A Sky Without Stars by Linda S. Clare

Several weeks ago I received a copy of The Long Awakening by Lindsey O'Connor from Revell Nonfiction.  I am supposed to post a review sometime in March, but other deadlines have come first and I've pushed the book to the bottom several times.  This memoir is well worth the wait  Journalist Lindsey O'Connor tells the heart wrenching story of her fifth child's birth and her own subsequent hemorrhaging which left her in a medically induced coma for almost 50 days.  The road to recovery was much longer.
I"ve had to stop this book at page 75 so I could start the two books I've already mentioned.  Even so,
I have learned so much about coma patients, especially those who have been placed in a medical coma.
Lindsey describes a battle her then teenage daughter had with her belief in God a few days after the traumatic birth and her mother's near death.  At this point, doctor's do not believe Lindsey has any brain function. Like many who face tragedy, Jacquelyn realizes her current feelings of hopelessness can drive her to deny God; or despite her doubts and fears she can choose to believe.  This is a book that I want to read slowly and savor the lessons that Lindsey and her family share.


 Like many who face tragedy, Jacquelyn realizes her current feelings of hopelessness can drive her to deny God; or despite her doubts and fears she can choose to believe.  This is a book that I want to read slowly and savor the lessons that Lindsey and her family share.


 

Packer fans everywhere will understand why I am going to read the next book on my pile. 
Driven: From Homeless to Hero, My Journeys On and Off Lambeau Field by
Donald Driver gives us one more chance with Green Bay's all time leading receiver. Winnefox, the library system our library belongs to, lists at least 29 copies of this book.  Even with that many copies, I have been
on the holds' list since the book came out last fall and just now received a copy to read.  The rough days of his childhood in Houston, the girlfriend (later wife) who helped him turn life around, the amazing rise within the Packers, his desire to give back by helping kids, and of course, the smooth moves on the dance floor --- I expect to learn more about all aspects of his life.  Can't wait to share the details.





No comments:

Post a Comment