Sunday, February 16, 2014

Special supper

Minute® Multi-Grain Medley

I don't usually post recipes or food ideas, partly because I don't want to fuss with the camera, but we enjoyed last night's belated Valentine meal so much that I decided to share.  Both R and I like pepper steak, but I like my meat tender, so I slice the sirloin into strips,season it with a seasoning blend (Aunt Hazel's rub - a Wisconsin product,  brown it and then place it in the slow cooker along with soy sauce, small amount of water, a teaspoon of beef bouillon (soft, low sodium kind) and plenty of fresh garlic. I cook this on high for 3-4 hours.  Really three hours is plenty.

Right before supper, I stir fry a multitude of sweet peppers, onions and tomatoes.   Last night I had red and orange peppers, one large sweet yellow onion, and both fresh roma tomatoes and a few frozen yellow cherry tomatoes.  I thicken the crockpot sauce with cornstarch and top it off with generous drops of toasted sesame seed oil.  Right before eating, I cooked the rice (or it could be noodles) and mix the veggies with the meat.

A while ago. I tried the new multi-grain medley by Minute Rice which consists of white rice, red rice, wild rice and quinoa.  I really liked the combination, partly because it doesn't have added salt or flavoring, so that is what I prepared last night.  Since it was our special Valentine meal, we opened a bottle of white wine from a local winery.  To top off the meal, we had a warm cherry cobbler.  Everyone knows this recipe -- cherry pie filling, dry yellow cake mix, and melted butter.
Maybe it isn't good for you, but come every February I need to make this or a cherry pie.  Since I spent most of the afternoon pinning the quilt layers for my latest sewing project, this cobbler was the easy choice.

A little more about the wine -- Friday I ate lunch out with two friends.  Afterward we stopped at the Vines and Rushes Winery outside Ripon.  Using Wisconsin grapes from their own vines and from other vineyards, they make about 9 different wines.  They offer wine tastings and host special events.  Pretty good for a business under two years old. I picked a Frontenac Gris Semi-sweet wine for our meal.  I liked its light taste, but it wasn't too sweet to drink with a meal. I'm not a wine connoisseur and don't really know the ins and outs of choosing a wine, but I knew I would enjoy this choice with a meal.  

IMG_2493.jpg
Vines and Rushes Winery, Ripon, WI

So that was our Saturday evening. Nothing lavish or outrageous, but it felt special and it didn't break the bank. I wish I could say that television offered up a great movie to top off the night, but nothing caught our interest, and we each pursued our own interests.  R practiced music, and I read.  Today, however, we went to a showing of Monument Men which was top notch.  Now I need to find a copy of the book so I can enmesh myself in the true story of those who helped saved the art treasures of the Western world.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful evening and celebration of your Valentine. David offered to take me out but I requested he cook instead (cause he is darn good at it) and we, too, enjoyed a meal at home.

    ReplyDelete