Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Big Book of Laugh Out Loud Jokes for Kids by Rob Elliot

When I was school librarian there would be a time every year that the kids, usually third or fourth grade boys, would discover the joke book section and for the next few weeks everyone wanted a joke book.  Then, almost as quickly as the rush started, the craze stopped for another year.  Often they moved on to "how to draw" books, this craze perhaps initiated by an art lesson or just one student's ability to draw a really great cartoon.  I always loved these bursts of interest, hoping that they would last for at least a few students.  When Revell Publishing gave me an opportunity to review a copy of The Big Book of Laugh Out Loud Jokes for Kids by Rob Elliot I was interested.  It's been two years since I retired and I miss being able to select books for different ages and then see how they are received.
I hope that joke books still make a show at being popular, but I wonder, considering the quality of humor kids are exposed to on television sit coms, even the ones supposedly targeted at their age group.

Elliot's book is subdivided into three sections: 1.  Laugh out loud jokes for kids, 2. Zoolarious Animal Jokes for Kids, and 3.  Knock Knock Jokes for Kids.  Always a fan of knock knock jokes, I tried a couple on my husband this morning.
Joke 1
Knock Knock
Who's There
Little Old Lady
Little Old Lady Who?
I didn't know you could yodel.

Joke 2
Knock Knock
Who's There
Olive
Olive who?
Olive you.  Do you love me?

Both of these gave him a chuckle, and I take that as a strong recommendation for the book.  These are good clean jokes with simple humor.  We all need a sense of humor, especially one that is not based on
someone else's suffering or pain.  I give this book a strong recommendation, perhaps for birthday gifts, school libraries, or Sunday school libraries.  I plan to share my book with our fourth grade grandson. He seems to be the perfect age, and we always enjoy a good laugh together.

Thank you to Revell for giving me an opportunity to review this book.  All opinions are mine.


Big Book of Laugh-Out-Loud Jokes for Kids, The: A 3-in-1 Collection


No comments:

Post a Comment