Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Whole Enchilada by Diane Mott Davidson

Diane Mott Davidson's mystery series about caterer and super sleuth Goldy Schulz has been a favorite of mine ever since I discovered it more than a decade ago.  However, I would never attend an event catered by Goldy because someone always ends up dead! In fact, I would not even ride in Goldy's van as she seems to be always hitting something, sliding into a snow ditch, or having some other mishap.  Luckily in The Whole Enchilada it is spring in Colorado, and there's no snow in sight. but Goldy faces other mishaps that leave her bruised and sore.  And, yes, someone does die. This time it is an old friend who is co-hosting a dual birthday party for her son and Goldy's son.

Quickly, the catering dishes are cleaned up and Goldy is deep in helping her police detective husband solve the crime.  There are threads of story that run through all the Goldy books --- her disastrous first marriage to an abusive doctor, her long time friendship with the doctor's previous wife, the saga of raising a teenage son, and her long time love of good coffee.

As readers we DO connect with the characters, even in light hearted mysteries such as Davidson's.
I've always loved the catering connection and the descriptions of the tasty foods Goldy and her assistant create, but I have to admit when I gave up caffeine a few years ago ( I now drink decaf), I was a little alarmed at the amount of caffeine short little Goldy was packing away each day.  So I was delighted to see that Goldy has started to limit her caffeine intake.  After one or two espressos, she now switches to decaf for the rest of the day!! LOL

Goldy and sidekicks do solve the mystery, but just as important is the family story that takes a new twist at the end of this book. No other hints from me, except to say that the development opens many new opportunities for story lines in future books.  I obtained a copy of this fun novel through WPLC, our state library consortium for media and ebooks.  I noticed that there are dozens of holds for this book, so I know that Davidson continues to be a popular mystery writer.

The Whole Enchilada Unabridged CD By Diane Mott Davidson

No comments:

Post a Comment