Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Autumn news from the sewing room

Sometimes I wish I could clone myself and enjoy more things at once -- plus send a duplicate off to do all the necessary housework and chores.  I am in the midst of reading the sequel to Angel Sister by Ann Gabhart, but can't find much reading time.  Hope I will be able to review the book by Thursday.

Our local library is having a "Deck the Falls" silent auction later this week.  People are designing and donating fall decorations for sale.  Here are some photos of what I sent to be sold.
Woodland themed table runner.  Quotation is by Henry David Thoreau

The outside blocks are "string blocks" from scraps.
This table topper has Thanksgiving themed machine embroidered squares along with scrappy string squares.


I also made a scrappy kitchen oven mitt which I paired with a terry towel, autumn wax melt, and a colorful cookbook.  I forgot to take pictures of them and also forgot to take photos of the two tote bags made out of orphan blocks.   Hope these sell and help our computer update fund at the library.  We have quite a few families who use the library's computers regularly, not being able to afford or not wanting computers at home.


Three summers ago, while vacationing in the UP, Russ and I made a side trip to Paradise, Michigan - a small village on the tip of Lake Superior which just happens to have a great quilt shop.  While there, I picked up the pattern GRANNY'S NAP SACK by Joyce Waterman of the Village Rooster (Missouri company).
Now three years later, I finally used the pattern.  This is going to be a birthday gift for our 3 year old granddaughter.
 Rolled up and tied, the flannel sleeping bag looks like this.
 I used a flannel woodland camping panel for the front of the simple sleeping bag.  There is actually a list of forty items at the bottom that little ones can then find on the panel. You could also use patches of cotton or flannel. Both the top and bottom of the bag are quilted sandwiches. This sleeping bag is a simple slip in style, no cumbersome zippers.  The pillow is attached.  All in all this was easy to make.
Close up of the camping bears and their woodland friends. I can't wait to give this to a special birthday girl to use when she sleeps over at Grandma's and Grandpa's or when she travels to the cabin.

Thanks for looking at my latest projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment