Friday, September 20, 2013

Harriet Beamer Strikes Gold by Joyce Magnin

Want fiction loaded with eccentric characters whose lives provide more than a slight flash of humor? Want stories that examine human frailties and problems with sensitivity and a fresh approach, but still with Christian values?  Then you need to discover author Joyce Magnin.  I've already reviewed a couple novels from the Bright Pond series( Prayers of Agnes Sparrow and Charlotte Figgs Takes over Paradise). I hoped I wouldn't be disappointed when I started Harriet Beamer Strikes Gold and I wasn't.

Harriet whose cross country trip to her son and daughter in law's home in California is told in the book Harriet Beamer Takes the Bus has now settled in with Henry and Prudence.  Well, maybe her doughnut-eating basset hound has accepted their new home more than she has.  Harriet wishes she could set up her precious salt and pepper shaker collection (did I mention that Magnin is a quirky writer?) and she also misses her best friend Martha.  Plus she seems a little jealous that her writer son has a close relationship with an elderly neighbor lady.  But when Martha finds out that she will soon be a grandmother, life begins to look up.  Maybe it is that blossoming grandmothering instinct that causes Harriet to listen to a young teenage girl's woeful story and then secretly invest money in a gold mine venture offered by the girl's father.

As I've said before I am drawn to stories that provide protagonists of varying ages and backgrounds.  Not too many books offer heroines who have seen more than 70 summers!
I did not read the first Harriet book, but I am ready for book 3 of adventures.  Wonder if she'll be driving her son's beamer (BMW) or her yellow scooter? 

I received a copy of this title from Book Sneeze for review purposes.  All opinions are mine.

Harriet Beamer Strikes Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment