Monday, June 10, 2013

When God Makes Lemonade:True Stories that Amaze and Encourage created by Don Jacobson

Of course I saw the connection when I saw this title to the old adage, "When you get lemons, make lemonade."  On a deeper level lies that persistent question, why does God allow us to suffer?
Why do bad things happen? But Don Jacobson and the dozens of other authors draw our attention away from those questions to this knowledge - "God is fully with us at times, including when we have the hardest time seeing it." (Shauni Feldman)  At first I was afraid that this title would be a series of oversimplified platitudes, but instead I was treated to a volume of dramatic stories that resonate with hope, second chances, and encouragement.  Story after story show that good can and does come from the harshest of circumstances.  Sometimes those "good" changes are miracles to consider.

We had a quiet Sunday afternoon planned for yesterday, perfect for curling up with this book.  Before I realized it, the afternoon had passed and so had the evening.  As bedtime approached, I only had 50 pages out of 346 left, so I pushed ahead and finished the book.  For most readers, I would instead recommend you savor the stories a few at a time.  Like the Chicken Soup books, each person's story is told in a few pages, and it's the kind of book you can pick up and put down numerous times without losing anything.  I am delighted to hear that Jacobson is collecting stories for future volumes.  This book would be a strong addition to church libraries and definitely would make a perfect gift for almost anyone.  I noticed that it is available in audio form, great for those who don't usually read.  If you want a sample of the stories, go to http://godmakeslemonade.com/home.  Each month there is a story to read, plus you can read Don Jacobson's own story, the inspiration for the project.

I want to thank Book Sneeze for providing me a copy for review purposes.  All opinions are mine.

Lemonade Books

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. I really want to read this book now. I thought I did before but now after your review, I definitely want to. I also like to collect books that I will eventually give as a gift. This seems like the type of book that I would pass on.

    ReplyDelete