Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin

f

For the first time since I retired, I was able to substitute at my old librarian job on Monday.  It was a wonderful day and I even had two of my granddaughters in classes.  I had not told my five year old granddaughter that I would be at school, as I wanted to see her reaction when her class came to the library and I was there.  Her older cousins and brother had told her a while ago about how I was always there when they came to the library and how much they liked that.  She later came to me, and in her sweet little girl voice told me she wished I still worked at school so she could see me. She sees me after school almost every night, but those words melted my heart, as did her face on Monday when she first realized I was in the library.  How could the day be any better?

Miss M. had left a new nonfiction book on worms for me to read, pairing it with this delightful favorite, Diary of A Worm by Doreen Cronin.  Cronin has the most wonderful sense of humor and her illustrators always add to its impact.  In Diary of a Worm, you can actually learn something about worms as the little worm boy goes through his day, but everything is told with a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor.  You can't help but smile at the sweetness and silliness of the story.  When the worm forgets his lunch, he gets so hungry that he eats his homework. Then his teacher makes him write out on paper that he will not eat his homework, but of course, he eats that paper, too.  Although, I love all of Doreen Cronin's books, Click Clack Moo will remain my favorite. Who wouldn't love cows who threaten to strike if they don't get electric blankets?   If you are not sure if you or your children have read any of Cronin's works, wander over to her her website to check out all the titles.  If you're curious about Diary of a Worm, watch this video version of the story http://vimeo.com/17563063   And my recommendation for anyone feeling slightly down, head to your local library and ask the librarian for the best humorous picture books they have.  Let yourself be a kid again and enjoy.  I guarantee you will feel better

No comments:

Post a Comment