Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Thoughts from the sewing room

I started a new book last night and it has pulled me in.  I will probably start reading after lunch and hope to finish the book today.  Unfortunately I can't blog about it until next week, as I am taking part in a book tour.  The other book I just recently finished is our book club title for this month, and I want to wait until after Thursday night to review it.  I am sure other club members will have insights I should consider.

Since I was at my computer uploading photos from my camera, I decided I would post a few photos of recent sewing projects.  My camera is not good and I really just take photos of my sewing to document what I've been doing.  However, I greatly enjoy peeking at other people's projects on quilting blogs and pinterest, so I've decided to share some myself.


 First, I've made tote bags and smaller cosmetic bags for both my daughter and dil for birthday gifts.  Loved both patterns:  Zippy Strippy by Atkinson Designs and San Clemente by A Quilter's Dream. Both are easy to construct and look great when done!  I guess I didn't take a picture of my daughter's gifts but they were similar to my dil's above.






Next I finally tried my hand with the Little Twister Template which I got at a local quilt shop, The Welcome Home.  All these wonky pinwheels came from 5 in scraps I had cut this winter when straightening my scrap stash.  The wallhanging just fits a blank spot we had over our entertainment center in the family room.  Each pinwheel is quilted with decorative stitches from my Janome 6600P.

This giant pinwheel just got hung Saturday above our pantry door.  Our house has a lot of angles and it has taken me a long time to decorate.  This pattern is so easy and comes from 10 in blocks.  I watched a tutorial on You tube by Suzanne McNeill.  I have lots of straight line quilting on this one.


Last is this outdoorsy table runner I made totally from scraps, mostly ones I picked up at a rummage sale last summer.  Judy Gauthier, owner of Bungalow Quilting and Yarn has written a simple set of directions telling how to use 3.5, 4.5, and 5.5 inch templates to make quicker versions of several traditional blocks.  I followed the directions for the signature blocks and arranged them in a pattern I liked.  Again squares are machine quilted with decorative stitches.  I really like how this piece turned out and I think it is destined to be a donation in the future.

It's been fun sharing these small projects.  It has been my way to beat the winter blahs!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, love the cosmetic bag and tote! Of course the quilt blocks are always fun. Sewing has sure been a comfort to me since Logan went to college. I've found a well-spring of creativity.

    My quilting friend sent me another wonderful bag of scraps (that are HUGE pieces) and I decided to make a little girl's dress. I just finished it tonight and will be blogging on it this week. There will be more of these dresses to come, I sure enjoyed putting this one together.

    The wedding is Saturday and I've put all the machines away to make the sewing room back into a guest room for mom and dad. Logan is coming home for spring break and will overlap their visit.

    Thanks for sharing your crafts, I too, like to see what everyone else is making.

    ReplyDelete