Monday, February 4, 2013

Shattered by Dani Pettrey


Fans of Dee Henderson and other contemporary Christian authors who mix mystery and romance will enjoy Dani Pettrey's writing.  Shattered is the second in her Alaskan Courage series.  I enjoyed the suspense and changing setting as Piper and Landon travel from Alaska to Canada, California, and Washington to try to find the killer of a young snowboarder.  My only criticism is that I needed slightly more background on the McKenna family and their relationships with other people in their Alaskan ski town.  Although I read book one, Submerged, I had forgotten some details of their large, extended family.  When authors write series with reoccurring characters, I think there needs to be a delicate balance between overloading readers with repetitive background and forgetting to give the reader needed information. Romance readers will not be surprised by the sparks between Landon and Piper; at the same time, they will appreciate the unfolding relationship.  I believe the surprise element to the story is new character  reporter Darcy  and her interest in Gage.  While the first book entered the extreme sport world of Alaskan diving, this mystery revolves around the competitive snowboarding scene, complete with a blizzard, avalanche and dangerous rock climb.
No quiet time around the cabin fires in this tale!

I received an advanced reader's copy of this book for review purposes.  All opinions are my own

The publishers did a great job choosing cover design for this series.  Here's the cover to the first book
Submerged.  I would recommend reading that one first; if the style and story is a fit for you, you will enjoy Shattered.  Overall I think Submerged is better written.

No comments:

Post a Comment