Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Unstoppable by Nick Vujicic

Nick Vuvjicic, an Australian who was born without limbs (except for a malformed foot), has inspired hundreds of thousands across the globe through his inspirational ministry.  YouTube and his two websites (www.LifeWithoutLimbs.org and www.AttitudeisAltitude.com) have broadcast his message even further.  His new book Unstoppable is another powerful addition to his work.

Although this book does share some personal moments from Nick's life, such as a recent visit with Rev. Billy Graham and Nick's courtship of his future wife, most of this book is about others Nick has met who have put their faith into action -- action that is unstoppable because they were acting not on their own dreams and goals, but on God's.

Personally, I can tell I am truly enjoying and benefiting from a nonfiction book if I am compelled to start taking notes as I read.  (Sorry, folks, but I cannot break my teacher/student habits).  Well, I have dozens of scribbled notations from this book and I spent a whole hour yesterday "googling" people and organizations that Nick wrote about. His writing made me curious about people who were living out God's purpose.  I wanted to know more about them and their missions.  Some of these people, such as President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf from Liberia and the founders of the Mercy Ships are recognized by the world's standards, but most like the father who started the Jeremiah Project 51 are recognized within a much smaller radius.  However, they, too are "unstoppable" because they are following the path the Lord has placed before them.

  At one point in the book, Nick talked about being in the short film Butterfly Circus where he met actor Eduardo Verastegui who almost walked away from a successful movie/television career because his ungodly life in Hollywood was killing him mentally and emotionally.  With the help of his language tutor, he needed to listen to the silent voice telling him to change - not his profession but his choices within that profession.  Now Eduardo seeks out projects that reflect positive images of his culture and his faith.  From that passage, I have a list of several movies to check out.

Although Nick spends much of the book focusing on other Christians, I still feel the biggest message comes from the many times he witnessed that his physical presence has been a strong catalyst of change for others.  Seeing him being joyful about life and finding purpose has helped others understand that we all have purpose in God's eyes.  I believe that is one of the reasons that teens flock to his engagements and his online sites.  Adolescence is a dark time when almost all question their value and purpose.  Many feel hopeless and unloved.  Nick's life, his videos, and now his writings answer back, strong and clear.  We are all loved.  We all have purpose.  Be patient.  Seek your father and you will know.  For those of us who know that message, Vujicic's book has one more message-
there is great power to be discovered if we take the step to put our faith in action.

I received this title from Blogging for Books for review purposes.  I was not required to write a positive review.



2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book. Thank for your thoughts and the review.

    I have 5 giveaways at my site if you want to pop over for a visit. I love making new bloggy pals.

    Hope you have a great week!
    Diane :O)
    www.dianeestrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of this guy before, you've got me interested to check out the book.
    Are you ready for the holidays? I've not put out as many decorations as usual but we will be traveling the week before Christmas. We've decided to take a trip to New Orleans and do a food tasting tour for our Christmas presents. Logan was there briefly last year and said we would all enjoy a visit. We'll pick him up from school and head there from Austin.
    Did you get any snow today? Jackie, in Michigan, posted that they had snow this morning. We are expecting that cold here on Sunday and would appreciate some moisture with it but not holding out too much hope. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete