Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers


Ever have a moment when two thoughts just connect in a new and meaningful way? Just a few hours ago I took advantage of the early morning quiet to enjoy a cup of coffee on our deck while I waited for our daughter-in-law to drop off their two girls for me to take to summer school. It was then I thought about how different their personalities are and yet how perfectly God has made each of our six grandchildren.

That acknowledgement connected directly to my next thought- the book I would review for my first review on this blog. Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers, part one of Marta's Legacy, spans Switzerland, Germany, England, Canada, and California as Marta strives to leave behind a childhood marred by the her father's coldness. As Marta marries and raises a family, she fails to see the uniqueness and perfectness in her children and mistakenly (but definitely out of love) treats her oldest daughter Hildemara much more harshly than the others.
Hildemara doesn't recognize the "love" behind the tough love and lives
believing that she cannot count on her mother. Francine Rivers writes
strong characters and I was fascinated by the late 1800's life in Europe and frontier Canada. Even more fascinating are the author's personal comments at the end of the book as she shares that Marta is based on her grandmother and Hildemara on her mother. This two book series is the author's attempt to explain and reconcile with fiction, the real life
saga of two strong women, who despite their Christian faith, failed to
see each other's true hearts and strengths.

I read this book as an e-book which I downloaded from Wisconsin Public Library Consortium (WPLC) If you happen to have a Nook or other e-reader, or if you like to listen to audio books and have a MP3 player, I STRONGLY
recommend you find the WPLC website and learn how to download e-books and audio books. Right now ebooks are not available for load for Kindles, but
I believe that will change in future months.
I am a big advocate for using libraries, and I know this book is also available at many libraries. Right now, I have a request in at our local library for the next book in the series. I can't wait to read how the aging Marta and her now ill adult daughter Hildie mend their differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment